Understanding Myself Helps Me Understand the World!

This year we will be studying the people and places of the world.  We have identified the 5 fields of social studies and will now apply our knowledge of the 5 fields to our own family.  Each child received a letter in class explaining the project.  The letter and grading rubric are posted on my school website calendar for September 3 and 4.  You can see an example of an Animoto presentation on this blog by scrolling to a post I made on August 26, 2011.  The child who made the Animoto presentation followed up by elaborating on his topics and included global connections.  To help you understand the global connections, I have two examples below:

History:
"My family history shows that my ancestors embraced the American dream of freedom and opportunity.  As I researched my family's journey to America, I discovered that I have ancestors that came from Ireland, Nova Scotia, Germany, England and Scotland."  (student then showed the family crest from the 1700's)

Economics:
"My mom's family came to America from Ireland for job opportunities.  Even the children worked so they could send money to help their families in Ireland because it was suffering from a famine."

I hope you enjoy exploring your family connections.  Come see me if you need help :-)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Day Without Shoes - April 5 and 6

Google Earth!

Welcome to my class!!!